Thursday, June 21, 2007

-Vegan Margherita Pizza-






















I must admit, the first thing I thought when I became a vegan was "How am I going to live without pizza???" I was ecstatic when I discovered that veganism did not mean living in a pizza vacuum, it just meant a different kind of pie. Where my focus used to be on cheese (and lots of it) I now direct my energy towards a savory crust and fresh vegetables and herbs. This recipe has won major points with my friends and only takes about 30 minutes from start to mouth!



*Vegan Margarita Pizza*
  • 1 lb. pizza dough or pre-made pizza crust (I like to use -Rustic Crust- Tuscan Six Grain...flax seed, barley, millet, rye, whole wheat and oatmeal...yummy!)
  • 1-2 TBSP olive oil
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 small red onion
  • fistful of fresh basil leaves
  • 5 oz. pizza sauce (a 15 oz. can of Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce=3 pizzas)
  • 3 0z. raw sesame seeds
  • tsp. oregano
  • tsp. basil
  • tsp. parsley
  • 1/4 tsp. rosemary
  • pinch of crushed red pepper
  • salt (to taste)
  • ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pizza crust on baking sheet. Rub top and bottom with 1 TBSP olive oil. Place dried herbs and salt and pepper in center of pie add 1 TBSP olive oil and rub into crust with hands until evenly distributed. Add crushed garlic and distribute evenly with hands (Try to avoid patting, or the garlic will stick to your fingers. Gently rubbing the crust in a circular motion works best). Sprinkle sesame seeds heavily around outside 1-inch rim of crust and lightly in center (This might be a good time to sprinkle an extra pinch of salt on the crust as well). Reduce heat to 425 degrees and place crust in oven for approximately 10 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven. Pour pizza sauce into center of pie and distribute evenly, leaving 1 inch section heavy with sesame seeds untouched. Top evenly with fresh basil and red onion. Drizzle with olive oil if desired. Place pizza in oven for approximately 10 more minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy.
If you like this recipe as much as my boyfriend and I do...you might want to have a second crust on hand... :)
*Note*-This pizza also tastes great topped with fresh mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes or other fresh vegetables. Just be careful not to pile the veggies too high, or you'll be picking them off your lap.

No comments: