Wednesday, June 27, 2007

-Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bakes-





















Well folks, it's another scorcher here in Burlington, Vermont. 90 degrees at 11am, and on it's way up. I've been trying to minimize my stove usage for fear that I will burst into flames, but I had a hankering for something sweet...
When in doubt, I turn to no-bake cookies! My mother taught me how to cook when I was very young, but Mama Marie wasn't all about the baking. I never really learned the art of meticulously measuring and adding things at specific times. I belong to the "smash and grab" school of cooking, so baking has never been one of my strong points. Most of my cookies could double as boat anchors, so that is why I thank St. Francis Caracciolo (patron saint of Italian cooks) for no-bake cookies. Not baking has never been so much fun or tasted so good, so I post this recipe for all of us who are "confection-arily" challenged!



*Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bakes*

  • 2/3 cup maple syrup (I used Grade B in this for more mapley goodness)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 TBSP cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate peanut butter*
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tsp Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 TBSP agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
Mix vegetable oil, cocoa, cinnamon, and maple syrup in medium pot, over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add oats, peanut butter, vanilla and agave nectar, stir well. Drop spoonfuls onto wax paper, and top with shredded coconut. Chill for 60 minutes to set. Makes approximately 2 dozen small cookies. Eat and enjoy, but be careful, these can be a bit messy in hot weather!
*Note*-
It is certainly ok to use 1/2 cup of regular peanut butter in this recipe. But if you like chocolate as much as I do, Peanut Butter Co. makes Dark Chocolate Dreams, a delicious, vegan peanut butter for added chocolate kick.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These were so delish! Love them!